Happy Canada Day!
I’ve always been really proud to be a Canadian. My parents came to this country in 1972 from Kenya to pursue a better life and I’m happy they landed here.
Every year on July 1st, we’re excited to celebrate. The family and I will pick a fun local destination, pack some Canada Day treats like these Maple Leaf Cookies and head out for the day dressed in our red and white gear.
In the spirit of being patriotic, I started looking up things that were invented, started or made in Canada. It’s actually a fun list so I thought I would share it with you.
1. Foods Invented in Canada:
– Butter Tarts
– Nanimo Bars
– Maple Syrup
– Split Pea Soup
For a complete list of foods from Canada, click here
2. The Wonderbra – Yes, the wonder bra was invented in Canada in 1960 and eventually took over the world!
3. Actors – Canada has also given the world some fabulous actors including the likes of Ryan Gosling (thank you Canada,) Michael J. Fox, Rachel McAdams, Ellen Page, Anna Paquin, Donald Sutherland and more.
4. Egg Cartons – The simple invention of egg cartons by B.C. Native Joseph Coyle, saved us from a lot of broken eggs! True story.
5. TV Shows – And last but not least, as the mother of two toddlers, I also can’t forget TV shows for the little ones. Below is a list of shows that were either created, filmed or take place in Canada including a couple my kids’ favourites! And all of these are on Netflix Canada which I love because I can keep track of how much I’m letting them watch and best of all, no commercials.
2. Franny’s Feet
3. The Busy World of Richard Scarry
4. Super Why!
5. Animal Mechanicals
6. Monster Math Squad
7. Team Umizoomi
8. Thomas and the Magic Railroad
Do your little ones watch any of these? If so, they are being supporting Canadian content 🙂
Those are some of the awesome Canadian things I’m celebrating this Canada Day! How are you celebrating this year?
I am a member of the the Netflix Stream Team and have been given a Netflix membership to help facilitate my posts. As always, all the opinions in this post are 100% my own.