I have a big problem when it comes to cravings, basically I can’t resist them. This happens a lot during the afternoon slump or at the end of the evening after the kids go to bed and I’m relaxing, doing some work or watching television.
A trainer I was working with suggested I try making some healthier snack options that’ll still fill that sweet craving. One recipe he gave me was this one from the Minimalist Baker for Vegan Protein Bars and he suggested replacing amaranth with quinoa puffs.
I made the bars and they tasted great but I could’t get the consistency right and the melting chocolate wasn’t working for me. I decided to make some small changes the second time I made them. It worked so well for me that I had to share!
5-Ingredients Protein Bites
– 1 cup of peanut butter
– 2 tbsp of pure maple syrup
– 2-3 tbsp of protein powder ( I have used Vega and Arbonne & both tasted great!)
– 1/3 cup of quinoa puffs
– 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate chips (you can buy vegan chocolate chips) Cranberries work as an alternative to the chocolate
1. Put the peanut butter and maple syrup in a mixing bowl, stir with a spatula until well-combined and creamy.
2. Stir in the quinoa puffs. When it’s mixed in, add the chocolate chips until combined.
3. Take 1.5 tbsp worth of the mixture and shape it into a ball. Do that will all of the mixture. Once you’re done, put them in the freezer for about half and hour to set. Then enjoy!
These are great when you are craving something sweet or just need a little snack to tide you over. Store them in the fridge in a covered container. They also freeze really well for snack emergencies.