Banana’s are one of the most popular fruits in our house. But some weeks, there is that lone leftover banana. Often it goes in the freezer for future baking use. Other times, when I can’t fit anymore bananas in the freezer, I make this yummy cookie recipe that is simple and delicious and the texture feels like I’m eating banana bread! These are a hit with with both banana and cookie lovers alike!
1 large ripe banana, mashed
3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4-1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup oats (whatever type you like)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, add the mashed banana, apple sauce, butter, sugar and egg. Use an electric mixer on low until everything is combined.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda and cinnamon with a whisk or spatula.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients bowl. Keep stirring until everything is well combined.
4. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
5. On a greased cookie sheet, put down large spoonful of the batter. Leave room between each one because they will expand when they bake.
6. Put the cookies in the preheated over for about 12 minutes. When the cookies are ready, they will still be a bit soft to the touch and the bottoms will be slightly brown.
7. Let the cookies cool slightly before you eat them. And make sure to accompany them with a big glass of milk!