The other afternoon, as dinner loomed closer, I was drawing a blank as to what to make. My meal planning has fallen to the wayside as of late and the kids were getting hungry, not to mention their mom. So I decided to ask them what they wanted for dinner.
The enthusiastic response was, “Chocolate chip waffles!” So I thought, why not? I have all the ingredients and it was a pretty simple recipe. Breakfast for dinner it was!
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4-1 cup of milk (depending on what kind of consistency you like)
1 mashed banana
3 Tbsp oil
1 large egg
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix.
2. Add the milk, oil and eggs.
3. Then whisk it well.
4. Add the mashed banana. I usually squeeze the banana while it’s in the skin and then put it in the bowl. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to make sure it gets combined well with the batter.
5. And then the kids’ favorite part, the chocolate chips. Here’s their reaction when I told them it was time to add the chocolate!
7. When the iron is ready, add about three spoonfuls of batter and then let it cook. Don’t check on it.
8. When the light goes off, the waffles should be ready. (Mine is old school so I have to flip the waffle to let the other side cook.)