My kids have always been big snackers. They will (usually) eat their meals but in between, they are always asking for something. Some of their favourites are fruit yogurt, banana muffins cheese strings, granola balls, and berries or apple slices. (Of course if I let them eat candy at each snack, they probably happily would.) So I’m always trying out new recipes for snacks we can make that are healthy and that the whole family can enjoy. Here is a simple but tasty and crunchy recipe I decided to call Crispy Rice Snack Bars.
2 Tbsp of creamy peanut butter or almond butter
2 Tbsp molasses
2 egg whites
4 cups of rice cereal
1/2 cup of sliced almonds
1/4 melted chocolate dark, melted (optional)
1. Melt your nut butter in a pot or the microwave for 30 seconds.
2. Stir in the molasses and then put the bowl aside.
3. Put the egg whites in a large bowl and beat them with a whisk until they are foamy. Stir in the in the nut butter mixture until it’s smooth.
4. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the rice cereal and sliced almonds.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease your 9 inch baking sheet. Then put the cereal mixture in the pan and use your hands to press it down until it’s evenly spread out.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until they are slightly browned on top.
7. Remove them from the oven and let them completely cool on a wire rack. Cut them into bars.
8. If you want to add a little sweetness, melt your chocolate and then drizzle it on top of the bars. The kids loved them with the chocolate topping, I actually preferred it without, which is very rare when it comes to chocolate! They were crunchy and delicious!
This is a great snack for the whole family and it’s simple enough that the kids can even help you prepare it.