With the cold and snowy weather here, I’ve been craving warm comfort foods. A couple of times I have made this Curried Lentil Soup and it’s been a hit with the whole family.
Curried Lentil Soup
It’s a recipe I used to make years ago when we lived in Winnipeg and I had forgotten about it until recently. I actually had to email my friend back there to remind me what the ingredients were!
I did deviate from the original recipe, but it worked well for us. It’s simple to make and so delicious! You only need five ingredients and one pot.
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– oil (to sauté the onions)
– 2 cups of red lentils (I’m sure it would work with other lentils, I just haven’t tried any yet)
– 10 cups of water
– 1/2 tbsp curry powder
– 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
– salt to taste
– chopped fresh cilantro (optional for garnish)
1. In a large pot, add oil and sauté the onions.
2. Add the lentils, water, curry powder, ground cumin and salt. Mix it together.
3. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
4. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for another 15 minutes
Once that’s done, it’s ready to eat. My family liked that consistency and actually ate it over rice for dinner.
I enjoyed eating it as a soup. Once it was cooked, I put half of it in my Vitamix and blended it for a couple of minutes and it had a soup like constancy. Sprinkle with some fresh cilantro and it’s perfect for lunch with a side of edamame.
This is also great to make if you are meal prepping because it could be dinner one night as well as lunch for a few days of the week.