This week for our summer craft, we decided to try making lava lamps. The kids always seem fascinated by them in stores so I thought it might be a fun project to try at home. Plus, last week we had a major fail when we tried making bouncy balls at home. This time we needed something simple and decided to try groovy lava lamps.
These DIY Lava Lamps were super simple to make and the kids really enjoyed it!
– Empty water bottle (We found our bottles at London Drugs. They were about $2 each and the id stickers came of so it was perfect.)
– Vegetable Oil
– Food Coloring (any color you like)
– Alka-Seltzer tablets
1. Fill your bottle just a little less than 3/4 of the way with oil.
2. Then add water, leaving a few a few inches of free space at the top of the bottle.
3. Next, add 10 drops of food colouring in the bottle. Do it one drop at a time and watch how the color slowly sinks to the bottom and spreads. (In one lava lamp we used blue & red food coloring mixed together and in the other we used just red.)
4. Take one Alka-Seltzer tablet and break it into four even pieces. Drop in one of the pieces and watch as it bubbles and sizzles and all the liquid moves around, it’s very cool!
5. Once all the pieces are in, tightly close your water bottle and then enjoy! You can flip the bottle and watch as the Lava Lamp works it’s magic!