Kale chips have been a favourite in our house for a long time. You might be thinking, kale, really?! It’s true though, I promise. If you’re not a fan of eating kale in it’s original form, once you make them into these healthy kale chips, you’ll change your mind. Even my kids get excited when I pull kale chips out of the oven.
Kale has so many benefits, that if you can get it into regular rotation in your house, that would be great for everyone. Kale is a very nutrient dense food and is high in antioxidants. It’s also full of fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and more!
Easy and delicious Kale Chips Recipe
Ingredients for Kale Chips:
– large bunch of kale (or you can buy a bag of organic, chopped & pre-washed kale from Walmart.)
– olive oil or avocado oil
– Himalayan sea salt (or whatever salt you use)
Instructions for Kale Chips:
1. Thoroughly wash and dry the kale. It’s important that there is no water on the kale before you cook it. You can even wash it the night before and leave it between towels to dry so the process is faster when you make them.
(If you buy the pre-washed bag, you can skip this step.)
2. Rip the kale into small pieces leaving the fibrous spines out. Place them on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper
(*Update, I no longer use foil or parchment, i just put them directly on the tray.)
3. Drizzle oil over the kale. Then use your hands to massage in the oil and make sure it’s all coated.
4. Then sprinkle with salt and mix that in too. (You can use as little or as much as you want in accordance with your families tastes.)
5. Place the the baking sheet in the oven that is pre-heated at 350 degrees. Cook for 11-13 minutes. Start checking it at 10 minutes. When you see the edges getting brown, the kale should be crispy and done. If you let it stay in the oven for too long, they will get all brown and burn!
*Troubleshooting: If you find that some of the kale is cooked perfectly and some is still wet, make sure that there is no water next time and ensure that all the kale was spread evenly on the cooking sheet. You can even take out the kale that’s done and cook the soft ones for a couple more minutes. But watch them closely so they don’t burn!
Then enjoy as a snack during the day or even at night when you’re watching a movie.
For more healthy recipes, check out this Pinterest Board.