This was the year of blogging conferences for me. Earlier in the summer, I attended an American conference, Blogher, in San Jose. Then just a couple of weeks ago, I attended Blissdom, a Canadian conference that brings together bloggers and social media. They were two very different experiences and I’m glad I got to go to both.
Blissdom had some great sessions that I learned a lot from such as advanced media training, Being the CEO of your blog, Building the Biz and more. There were also some great parties like TBT party sponsored by Kahlua, (and they partnered with another sponsor, Tim Hortons to make a Kahlua Coffee drink!) There was also a fabulous carnival themed party sponsored by Canadian Lentils and I sampled a lot of good eats that were all made from lentils, who knew! And on the final night, a pyjama party! I’m also grateful to Chevrolet Canada for not only giving us rides to and from Pearson Airport and Mississauga, but also have charging stations to save our phones from the brink of dying.
Aside from everything I learned, what I am holding the closest to my heart is the inspiration I got. Blissdom made me realize that I have to value myself and what I do. It also made me think about and look at others circumstances and how I need to be grateful and giveback. It gave me the courage and strength to realize that I can do pretty much anything I want!
Blissdom was full of a lot of great experiences, friends and moments so I wanted to share some of them with you.
1. I arrived a little early in Toronto and got the opportunity to meet up with some good friends and family that I don’t get to see often enough.
2. I got finally hang out with Carolyn, a friend and fellow mom blogger who you can find at Moments in Mommyland. Even though we live in the same city and chat all the time online, we finally got to talk IRL. We also had a lot of fun dressing up at the Tim Hortons Lounge and trying on amazing, super expensive dresses from Rent Frock Repeat. I also got to hang out with some awesome roomies, Crystal from Sew Creative Blog and Karen from She’s Gone Digital.
3. I got to meet Cheryl Hickey from Entertainment tonight Canada. She was really great and I’m really excited that she agreed to be interviewed for my In The Spotlight series. I also had a chance to meet Erica Ehm from the Yummy Mummy Club who was also so really amazing and I love what’s she done for women and mom bloggers!
4. I attended my first Power Hour, where I laughed, I cried and felt at one with all the other bloggers in that room. It was an hour I will never forget. Most poingnet in my mind is listening to Jennifer White speak of tragedy that had all the parents in the room in tears as she spoke and it amazed me how she has turned this tragedy in her life into something beautiful.
5. I played a life-sized game of Connect 4 (and lost three times in a row to this pretty cool blogger)
6. I found out about i am just one, an amazing project that supports African women who are HIV positive & often living in extreme poverty and they earn a living by making jewelry. It is really #worldchangingfashion. I had to buy a pair of beautiful earrings. Here’s how you can support them too.
7. And last but definitely not least, I met some amazing people and made friends with people I probably would have never had the chance to meet IRL if it wasn’t for Blissdom.
Blissdom Canada was an experience I will always remember and I’m glad I had the opportunity to attend.