If you’ve never heard of it, Kuku Paka is an East African chicken in coconut curry recipe. It’s always been one of my favorite dishes so I thought it was about time that I learned how to make it. Kuku Paka is so delicious and it is pretty simple to make once you have all the ingredients.
Kuku Paka Recipe
Ingredients for Kuku Paka
– 2 cans of coconut milk
– 4 chicken breasts cut into 4 pieces each
– 2 large potatoes cut into big chunks
– 2 boiled eggs (optional)
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– fist full of chopped cilantro
– 3/4 tsp minced garlic
– 1/4 tsp minced ginger x 2
– 1and 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– 1/8 tsp of tumeric
– 1/4 tsp green chilies
Instructions for Kuku Paka
1. Put 4-5 tbsp of the coconut milk in a bowl. Mix in the 1/4 tsp salt, ginger, 1/4 tsp garlic, 1 tbsp of the cilantro. Dip each piece of chicken in the bowl. Once it’s saturated, place on a tray and cook it in the oven for about 10-15 mins at 350 degrees. (This is an additional step that you don’t actually have to do. If you’re short on time, just throw the chicken into the pot with everything else.)
2. You can put your potatoes in the oven at the same time and let them cook as well. (Or you can cook them quickly in the microwave.)
2. In a large pot, add the rest of the coconut milk. Put in the onions, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic, ginger, turmeric, the rest of the cilantro and green chillies. Fill one empty coconut milk tin with water. Pour it into the pot as well.
3. Heat it on med/hi. Keep stirring with a wooden spatula until it comes to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium/low. Add in the cooked potatoes, chicken and boiled eggs. (If your chicken is raw, you can add it in step two with the onions and a tsp of oil. Stir for a couple minutes to saute and then add the rest of the ingredients as mentioned in step 2.)
4. Let it cook for about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave it on the element. Add in the lemon juice and stir. Then it’s ready
I like to serve it with french bread or rice. You can use both. Sprinkle a little cilantro over it to look pretty and enjoy.