Before ‘growing up’ and having kids, I used to be the biggest book worm ever! Really! I was the one wearing my glasses under the covers in bed, with a small flashlight so I could read my book. If my parents came in and caught me with my glasses on, I told them that I was wearing them so I could see my dreams better!
I was also that kid in elementary school that was often not paying attention to the teacher because i had a book open under my desk so I could just finish one more chapter.
When I became an adult, I was often scared to start a new book because I knew I would be up till the wee hours of the morning to keep on reading and then I would be tired at work the next day.
Both of my kids are no longer babies, yet for the past many years, I haven’t been reading. My excuses are that I’m too tired, or too busy or have other things to do. But deep down, I really miss it! I love holding a book, opening it and getting so engrossed in the story that I don’t want to put it down!
I figure if I have time to catch up on my favourite shows, I have time to catch up on some reading. So I posed the question on my FB page as to what everyone’s all time favourite books were and I’ve complied a Summer Reading List of 10 books, based on all the suggestions.
1. In The Unlikely Event – Growing up, I loved reading Judy Blume’s books. So when grown up Judy Blume came on my radar, I had to add it to the list.
2. I am Malala – This is a powerful story of a young girl, who’s region in Pakistan was taken over by the Taliban when she was 10 years old.
3. What Alice Forgot – The story of a women who wakes up to a completely different life sounds really intriguing. The last thing she remembers is being 29, pregnant and in love with there husband. When she wakes up, she has three kids, is 39 and getting a divorce!
4. The Pilot’s Wife – A pilot’s wife’s life is turned upside down when her husbands plane explodes and she discovers all the secrets he was keeping from her.
5. Crazy Rich Asians – The description for this novel had me at fun and Crazy Rich Asians!
6. The Poisonwood Bible – A family heads to a mission in Congo where a tragic undoing changes their lives.
7. When The Moon Is Low – Tells the unforgettable story of an Afghani family as they escape from the Taliban and try to reach Europe.
8. The Vacationers – A family goes on a luxurious 2-week vacation. But secrets and rivalries come to life to make it a vacation no one will forget.
9. The Casual Vacancy – I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series, (even though I haven’t read the last two books) so I am excited to read J.K. Rowling first adult novel!
10. The Rosie Project – And last but not least, this book sounds like a fun, romantic comedy that sounds perfect for a summer read.
Here are some of the other books suggestions I received that sound really interesting as well. I’ve gone from nothing to read to so much to read! I good problem to have, I think.
The Pearl That Broke It’s Shell, The Rumor, The Glass Castle , The Good Girl, Haunting Jasmine, Say What You Will, Yes Please , The Watchers: The Knight of Light, The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, Game of Thrones, The Lost Sisterhood and Ape House
Is reading a big part of your life? What is one book you really want to read this summer?