Do you ever sit back and reflect on life as a parent and how different it is from life before children? Sometimes I find myself saying or thinking things that would never have been part of my repertoire and I just have to laugh.
Here are 7 ways to know when you’re a parent:
1. Someone says “stupid” or “shut up” in front of your child and you them a look and ask them to watch their language around your children.
2. Talking about “poo” is the norm for the kids (and you) no matter where you are and in varying sound decibels.
3. Going to the grocery store by yourself while the kids are taken care of by someone else feels like what a day at the spa used be.
4. You shut the bathroom door to answer nature’s call and you pray that for just that five or ten minutes, no one bangs on the door, constantly calls for you or needs something right that minute…of course that doesn’t happen.
5. On the weekend, you’re hopeful that the kids will let you sleep in…until 6:45am.
6. After a month of no alone time with your partner, you both decide that tonight is the night. Of course, that is the same night that your child will either have a nightmare and climb into bed with you, get sick, not be able to fall asleep or will wake up ten times throughout the night for water. Alone time will have to wait until next month.
7. You get upset or irritated if anyone calls the house or rings the doorbell after 7:30pm. I mean don’t they understand that there are children sleeping?!
I’m sure this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the life of a parent. What would you add to the list?