We all get tired of the regular breakfast rotation, Cereal, pancakes, yogurt & fruit, waffles or eggs. We like to add in something different to spice up the morning routine and breakfast muffins are usually the go-to.
These banana oatmeal breakfast muffins have been a favourite of ours for a while and recently I did some tinkering with the recipes. They turned out even better, so I decide to share the improved breakfast muffins recipe with you.
Flourless Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
– 2 small ripe bananas
– 1/2 cup milk (this recipe works with almond, soy and dairy milk, whichever you prefer)
– 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
– 1 egg
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
– 2 cups of oats (rolled and quick oats work best)
– 3-4 Tbsp of chocolate chips
1. Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
2. Pour the milk and unsweetened applesauce to the bowl and whisk well until everything is fully combined.
3. Add the the egg to the mixtures and whisk it in completely. Do the same with the baking powder and vanilla. You don’t want to be able to see any white bits.
4. If you decide to use the ground flax, add it in now.
5. Then mix in the oats and chocolate chips until everything is combined.
6. Grab your muffin tins. For this recipe, the regular muffin pans work better than the silicone ones. Pre-heat the oven to 375 and grease your muffins pans. Fill each one about 3/4 of the way full. Put them in the oven for 23-25 minutes. You will know they are done when the bottoms are browned.
Easy as that, you have these delicious, flourless, sugarless Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins that everyone will like. They are perfect for busy mornings when you need breakfast on the go or as an after-school snack.
This recipe will make 12 muffins. They are good for about 5 days on the counter or 10 days in the fridge. You can make a double batch for freeze for a future breakfast emergency.